Wednesday 4 July 2012

1967? - Memories and Regret, Dave Wynne

Dive Four - 'You haven't got a little bit of butter to go with that?'

Heysham Village Co-op (the one with the blind)
In 1966/7 I was working for the Co-op and I was sent to work in the Co-op grocery shop in Heysham Village for a couple of weeks while the manager was on holiday. Steve, someone I'd know at primary school, was working there and we soon found that we had a lot in common (Mad magazine, music, torturing the delivery boy). But I mainly remembered him from the bus to school - he went to Balmoral Road, I went to Morecambe Grammar but we caught the same bus - where he had gained a bit of a reputation as a mad professor, inventing electric shock machines and devices to make dalek voices. He was also known as an expert bogey builder (bogeys are what we called carts made using old pram wheels with a rope for steering). Anyway, he invited me down to his cellar (all mad professors have to have a cellar, it's one of the rules). This is where he played around with electronics and recording equipment and, as I was a fairly mediocre guitarist with aspirations and an occasional songwriter, the idea of being able to record my music was an exciting idea. He played me some of the things he'd been recording with someone called Dave Wynne.

What was exciting was that he was doing multitrack recording, this at a time when most albums were being recorded on just four tracks. As far as I remember he did it by having two tape recorders - recording a track onto one machine then playing this back and recording it onto the other machine while, at the same time, adding another live track. I'm sure he'll correct me if this is wrong. The problem with writing about something that happened so long ago is that memories fade and get distorted (a bit like old tapes) and when, like me, you only have about seven brain cells left for one reason or another, they end up more faded and distorted than ever.

I eventually met Dave Wynne; he was a fairly peculiar looking person with a very pronounced chin and badly fitting false teeth which tended to slip when he was talking (or singing), meaning that his words were punctuated by clicks and clacks (reminds me of a Beefheart song). Sometimes, when he was singing, he'd take them out which added a certain gumminess to his singing. By the way, he's not going to get upset about this description as he died quite a few years ago. He was a very accomplished guitarist and drummer and he had written hundreds of songs. I have to say that the quality varied wildly, from really good, well structured love songs (the one in the title of this post) to songs that made you cringe with embarrassment when he played them:
                     Lisa Rayne, Lisa Rayne
                     When will I ever see you again
                     Tomorrow won't be soon enough for me.
This about a girl we knew at the local teachers' training college with whom he was in love. He fell in love regularly, always to no avail.

By the way, in case you're wondering why I headed this posts 'You haven't got a little bit of butter to go with that?' is because Dave never had any money, or food, or cigarettes; we had a regular ritual in the late sixties of all gathering at my mum's on a Thursday evening (I think it was) to watch Monty Python. Dave was always hungry and, after we had been there for a while, he would say to my mum, 'I don't suppose you've got a dry crust have bread I could have?' Then, a little later, 'You haven't got a little bit of butter to go with that, have you?', and so on until he would generally end up with a plate of egg and chips with bread and butter and a mug of tea. He was a born cadger but generally managed to get what he wanted.
So, to 'Memories and Regret'. Of all the songs he wrote this was the best; it was well structured with a lovely melody, interesting chords and simple but affecting lyrics, reproduced here from memory:
                There's a sweet little garden,
                Looking oh so neat,
                With little fountains playing
                Where we used to meet,
                We would walk together
                Through our private wonderland
                We'd also walk along the shore 
                And picnic in the sand.

                But things have changed between us now
                We seldom ever meet,
                I might pass you in a crowd
                Or walking in the street,
                And as I sit alone
                Smoking my last cigarette
                All I have is memories and regret.

The thing is, this song captures Dave Wynne perfectly; he was a sad, lonely man and the songs he wrote were, I think, his way of dealing with his life, a life of memories and regret.

5 comments:

  1. This is my second attempt at commenting because, believe it or not, even though I have an opinion on almost everything, I have never written or commented on a blog!!! Harry (next door) lived in a flat in Lancaster many years ago and Dave was a regular visitor. The flat had a rodent problem and was christened Mouse Hole Towers. On one occasion a mouse ran across the mantle piece and Dave caught it in a glass and took it outside. He let it go and it ran straight into the jaws of a cat and got eaten. Dave was rather upset about this and said to Harry if it had run in the other direction it would have been fine and that it was the story of his life...and sadly it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Karen
    I didn't know that about Harry and Dave. If you think of any more things that I've either forgotten (highly likely), or got wrong (also likely), let me know so that I can put it right.
    Thanks
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. And...as far as I remember Harry has the words to Memories and Regrets in Dave's own hand. We were looking through a pile of old notebooks a few months ago and it was among them. I'll ask him to ferret it out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to have a copy. If you come across it maybe you could scan it and send it to me.

      Delete
  4. Yep...Harry and Dave went out as a two piece combo called Express Tortoise. He used the old bread/butter/cheese/cigarette routine on him as well.

    ReplyDelete

If anything here makes you smile (or frown) please leave a comment. I will get back to you.

Creative Commons Licence
Dive for your Memory by Kevin Marshall is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.